This recipe is one of my favourites. It is based on a Jamie Oliver recipe which uses turkey. It can be found here.
I have made a couple of adjustments to it and omitted the chestnuts, but it is very tasty and a family favourite in our house.
I used ready prepared leeks and bacon medallions because I don't like bacon fat.
I also used chicken fillets for the meat.
You will need to have 800g of cooked and prepared chicken meat, torn into chunks before you begin.
1. Preheat your oven to 190c/375f/gas 5
2. Fry the bacon, sage and thyme with a splash of olive oil in a big pan. I used a wok.
3. Add your prepared leeks, carrot and onion and fry for about 3 minutes.
4. Add a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
5. Turn the heat down to medium and leave it to cook gently for 30 minutes.
6. Stir every 5- 10 minutes to ensure it doesn't stick.
7. When the mixture is ready, add the chicken meat to the pan and stir.
8. Add the flour, mix it in well and then pour in the chicken stock before stirring again.
9. Add the crème fraiche then turn it back up to bring everything to the boil.
10. You might want to add a bit more salt and pepper at this point.
11. Turn the heat off and get a deep baking dish.
12. Pour the mixture from the pan into the dish.
13. Roll enough pastry to cove the top of the pie.
14. Brush with a little egg.
15. Pop it in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.