Real Life | Matthew's Accident

On Wednesday, just as the school day was finishing - I'm a teacher, I received a call from my Husband to say that there had been an accident.  This was the second call in two days I had received from him. The first was on Tuesday to tell me that my Nan had passed away after a long, drawn out process in hospital, at the age of 88.  She died the day before her 89th Birthday - The same day Matthew was to have his terrible accident.
I am being cautious with the details I give - People can be quick to judge and blame - but this was nothing more than a terrible accident.
Matthew got his clothing trapped on something whilst playing in a garden and when he tried to carry on running, he was pulled back and fell into the side of a greenhouse.  The glass sliced into him on his side/back, a bit like how you would carve chicken off the bone.
My Husband, I have since learned, played down the details he relayed to me in that phone call.  I was shocked (for the second time in two days) and couldn't think what to do. I told my colleagues that I would hang on for five minutes until the bell went for the end of the day, before I left.  As you can imagine, they went mad at me and imminently threw me out of the building and on my way to find out what had really happened.
I was a 15 minute drive away.  In school-run traffic.  It was agonising.  As I approached the scene, I could see the ambulance making its way down the street and then a helicopter was flying low over head. At this point I didn't link the two.  I thought it was the police searching for somebody.
When I saw Matthew, he was asleep, curled up on my Husband's knee. The Paramedics were the first on the scene.  They had put a dressing on his wound. I didn't want to look at it and still haven't.  Apparently it's about 3 inches long.
We were assured, at this point, that Matthew wasn't in immediate danger and that we were heading to our local hospital, in the ambulance and a decision would be made there about whether to go to Manchester Royal.  We had no sooner climbed into the ambulance, when there was a knock on the side door.  Two doctors dressed in red suits were standing there, the ambulance team, weren't expecting them, but the 999 call centre had despatched the Air Ambulance and I am so glad they did.
The doctors came on board the Ambulance and checked Matthew out. You know that feeling you get when you are trying to read 'faces', that was me.  They weren't sure if he had broken a rib or if there was a piece of glass stuck inside.  They could feel something hard.  They said he was to be air lifted to Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool and only one of us could travel with him.  My husband went with him and I followed in a gruelling 1 hour journey, this time, in rush hour traffic.

 My husband has since come across this picture that was posted on Twitter, of the Air Ambulance before take off for the hospital.
The journey in the helicopter took Seven minutes.  Amazing. On arrival, My Husband tells me there was a full trauma team waiting - like on '24 Hours in A&E'. 
Luckily, by the time I arrived, Matthew was settled in the A&E department, cannula in, and waiting for his x-ray results.
That car journey was filled with mixed emotions.  The sun was burning into the car the whole way, the first real sun of the year, and I wanted it to be gone.  There was plenty of 'what ifs' and the full realisation that Matthew is an identical twin and how awful life would be if...
When I arrived, I was reassured by what they had found.  The glass had sliced through Matthew's fatty layers and not penetrated through to his organs.  The X-ray showed that he had 2 pieces of glass inside and he would need surgery to remove the glass and clean and stitch him up. 
By this time, it was about 6 o'clock.  Due to other emergencies coming into the hospital, he only had his operation at 9:00 am the next morning.  I was worrying about infection and him losing blood, but was assured that he would be fine and thankfully he was.
The picture, at the start of the post, is a smiley Matthew post -op.
He has stitches inside, steri strips on the outside and a dressing over that.  In five days, he can get the wound wet, but in the meantime, I keep checking it without removing the dressing, if you know what I mean, for infection. 
We are eternally grateful for the Northwest Air Ambulance Team and the staff at Alder Hey.
The air ambulance team gave this teddy to Matthew - since named 'Super Ted' because they said he was a 'Super Star'.
Alder Hey was a fab place. It has the look and feel of an airport terminal - Costa Coffee, WHSmiths etc.  It has been re-built and re-opened in October of last year. Everything about it is state of the art. Once the initial worry was over, our stay at Alder Hey was remarkable. 

We are very happy with how everything turned out in the end, but last week was one of the worst I've ever had to deal with.
R.I.P Nan

This post is linked up to for Brilliant Blog Posts here


  1. Oh my god! How terrible for you all...Poor Matthew. I am so glad he's OK. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.
    So sorry about your nan too.
    Sending love and hugs.

    1. Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much for your love ang hugs. He's making a good recovery so far 😊

  2. Aw Nic, what a worrying time for you. Hope he's soon fully recovered. So sorry for your loss. Xx

    1. Thanks, Julia. He's definitely on the mend now- we know we have twins again in the house 😊 x

  3. I could never imagine myself in that situation. It must of been terrifying! #Brillblogposts

  4. Oh gosh I just came to your site from the Twinkly Tuesday linky - what a scary story but a brave little man. I'm so soft since becoming a mom that I was tearing up reading that. Sorry to hear about your Nan too - I lost my father in law last month. Hard times x